Banana Bread with Sourdough Starter (Recipe Review)

Hi,

Growing up in the bay area, I knew and loved my sourdough bread. I recently learned about making your own sourdough starter. I have been following the guidelines from Maurizio at The Perfect Loaf. His guides has everything one needs to know on how to create and maintain a sourdough starter. I use a 50/50 flour mixture of dark rye flour and all-purpose flour. This is the flour that I use - Bob's Red Mill Organic Dark Rye Flour, 22 Ounce (Pack of 4). I buy it off of Amazon because the flour isn't readily available in my local grocery stores.

With the sourdough starter, you have to routinely discard part of it to keep the size manageable. Maurizio has a few recipes here that use up that discard instead of throwing it away. Why throw something away that you can use? I decided to make the banana bread recipe since I had a few bananas to use up anyways. The bread turned out wonderful. I didn't make any significant changes. The original recipe in italics & my notes/adaptations in regular text.

Banana Bread with Sourdough Starter - Recipe from The Perfect Loaf

Ingredients

3/4 cup sourdough starter I wasn't sure on how to properly measure the starter, used a dry measuring cup.
2 cups spelt flour (all purpose white flour) I used all-purpose flour.
3 super ripe mashed bananas (black and mushy)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsalted butter (European style if you have it) I used regular unsalted butter.
1 cup chopped walnuts (and/or pecans) I used walnut baking pieces from Trader Joe's.
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
zest of 1 lemon (optional) I didn't have any lemons on hand so I left it out.

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF.

While the oven was pre-heating, I carefully toasted the walnuts. I didn't burned them!

2. In a large mixing bowl combine spelt flour, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl mix together a small amount of chopped walnuts and a few pinches of turbinado or demerera sugar. Set aside.

3. In another bowl (or a stand mixer) beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. While mixing, scrap down the sides of the bowl.

I used a whisk to cream the butter and sugar.

4. Add in sourdough starter, honey, mashed bananas, and olive oil. Add in the vanilla. Add in the flour mixture slowly, mixing lightly while incorporating and scraping down the sides if necessary.

I used a little spatula to incorporate the wet and dry ingredients. I didn't want to use my whisk and risk over-mixing the dough.

5. By hand, fold in the walnuts and lemon zest. Pour the batter into the 9” x 5” baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts & sugar.

I baked the banana bread in this pan - USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel 1 Pound Loaf Pan, spraying the bottom and sides with baking spray.

6. Bake for 55-65 minutes. It’s better to undercook this than overcook: you want it moist. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then gently remove onto a wire rack to cool.

My bread took about 65 minutes to fully bake. I took it out of the oven when the internal temperature read around 195 degrees Fahrenheit.  


This recipe is super easy to follow and make. No fussy stuff. The bread is pretty dense and fluffy. I wasn't expecting that. It wasn't overly sweet, more like a regular walnut muffin. If you prefer your banana bread on the sweeter side, add a little more sugar or chocolate chips. Next time I make this, I intend on adding some chocolate chips.


Made this bread for my co-workers, they enjoyed it! Was quite different from the classic banana bread that I normally bring into work. I have included the nutritional information. Honestly though, I cut each slice in half as it was dense. Half the calories that way! ;)

Nutritional Information:
12 servings. Serving size is 1 slice.
Calories: 330 • Fat: 18 g • Protein: 6 g • Carb: 39 g • Fiber: 3 g • Sugar: 16 g • Sodium: 162 mg

~ Meli♡

Comments

  1. look delicious and light,, ı will say how its made to my mom .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! I had no idea what sourdough starter was until I read this article in a magazine, this woman was pretty sentimental over it because it brought her back to her childhood, baking with grandma, etc. She held on to some of that starter for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will definitely try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen this type of Banana bread before. It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing. My kids and I love making banana bread together. We'll definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I can't wait to try this! Love sourdough and banana bread, it can't get any better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Wow great banana bread, can't wait to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I needed this in my life. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always loved banana bread. I can't wait to try this receipt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment