Leftover Easter Ham? Make Ham and Cheese Scones! (Recipe Review)

Hello,

<3 I hope that everyone had a wonderful Easter weekend.

I wasn't expecting to have ham on Easter since I didn't even know we were doing anything. You know how families are, random holiday lunch. :) It was nice and cozy. Because it was unexpected, I decided to take a day off on the calorie deficit and eat at maintenance calories. I may have pigged out on King Hawaiian rolls and this amazing mango/avocado salsa. Honey ham on Hawaiian rolls, drool.

I have been eyeing this recipe from SeriousEats' BraveTart, Stella Parks. I decided to not stuff myself with ham and make these scones! They're amazing and so easy to make. My notes and changes in regular print, italics is the original.


Ham and Cheese Scones - Recipe from SeriousEats' Stella Parks

Ingredients 

9 ounces all-purpose flour (255g), plus more for dusting 
1 tablespoon (12g) baking powder
2 teaspoons (8g) sugar
1 teaspoon (4g) Diamond Crystal kosher salt
2 ounces cold unsalted butter (4 tablespoons; 55g), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
7 ounces diced, fully cooked ham (about 1 heaping cup; 200g)
1 ounce chopped scallion (shy 1/4 cup; 30g) Didn't have this on-hand so didn't include.
4 ounces coarsely shredded cheese, such as cheddar or Gruyère (about 2/3 cup; 115g), divided I used Trader Joes' Cheddar & Gruyere cheese since I couldn't decide on what cheese to use.
2 ounces milk (1/4 cup; 55g) Used fat-free fa!rlife milk.
6 ounces heavy cream (3/4 cup; 170g)

Instructions

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Sift flour into a medium bowl, then whisk in baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter and toss to break up the pieces, then smash each one flat between your fingertips. Continue smashing and rubbing until butter disappears into a coarse meal.

I used parchment paper on my AirBake baking sheet. Easy cleanup!

2. Add diced ham, scallion, and only 1-ounce cheese (shy 1/4 cup; 30g); the rest will be used to top the scones. Toss until well combined, then stir in milk and cream to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7-inch round, no less than 1 inch thick. Cut into 6 wedges with a chef’s knife, cover with remaining cheese, and arrange on a parchment-lined half sheet pan.

I cut the round into 8 wedges instead of 6. Used a bench scraper since I was forming the round on a silicone mat and didn't want to cut into my mat. Don't ever use a knife on a silicone mat! Parks has mentioned that you can freeze the dough after cutting into wedges. "Skip the cheese topping and wrap the scone wedges in plastic, then foil, and freeze for up to 6 weeks or so. Unwrap, top with shredded cheese, and bake straight away, no need to thaw."

3. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool at least 5 minutes. Serve as a snack, with eggy brunch dishes, or alongside hearty soups and stews. Leftovers can be stored up to 24 hours in an airtight container, then briefly warmed in a 350°F (180°C) oven to serve.

I stored them in Ziploc bags and foil. Froze the couple in Ziploc bags that I didn't give away already. 

This recipe is really easy to follow and flexible. Parks has a note where you could refrigerate the flour and butter mixture after completing step 1, if you have other things to tend to or what not. At that moment, you have the scone base mixture. You could use the same mixture to make any other kind of scone. Bacon and cheddar, sun-dried tomato with parmesan, try whatever you have in your kitchen! :)

With the ingredients I used, I am having the scones that I did keep with some salad. I didn't realize how off MyFitnessPal was until I wrote this post! Ah, oh well. 

Nutritional Information:
8 servings. Serving size is 1 wedge.
Calories: 331 • Fat: 19 g • Protein: 13 g • Carb: 25 g • Fiber: 0 g • Sugar: 2 g • Sodium: 492 mg

~ Meli♡

Comments