Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (Recipe Adaption)

Hello,

I bake whenever I'm stressed out. I can't help it. If I have butter, flour, sugar, and eggs with approaching assignments, I'll find something to bake. Usually, the end product is banana bread because I forgot to eat them throughout the week. Sorry, mom.

I was craving chocolate chip cookies, even though I consumed way too much raw Nestle Toll House chocolate chip cookie dough over the weekend. Cause maintenance calorie date night. I don't think I want to see any chocolate chip cookie dough for awhile.

Plus, I wanted to make cookies for my family and work.

I wanted the cookies to turn out kind of crispy and chewy. Came across Alton Brown's The Chewy recipe to use as the base cookie recipe. I decided to apply some techniques from SeriousEats' J. Kenji López-Alt's Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe to Brown's recipe. I wanted to have the dough rest overnight. Chilling the dough overnight allows the flour proteins and starches to break down. This results in a better flavor. In addition, the end cookies don't spread as much as if you baked the cookie dough right after mixing.

These cookies turned out pretty amazing, using techniques from Kenji's recipe applied to Brown's recipe.

The base recipe in italics with my notes in normal text.

Baked these cookies while watching the TSM v. C9 game <3



Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from Alton Brown's The Chewy Recipe & SeriousEats' J. Kenji López-Alt's Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

Ingredients

8 ounces unsalted butter
12 ounces bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 ounces granulated sugar
8 ounces light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons whole milk Used non-fat milk instead.
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips Used 3/4's of a bag of Trader Joe's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks & part of a bag of Guittard Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions

1. Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan over low heat, then set aside to cool slightly.
I browned the butter, which took a little longer. I kept the melted butter in the saucepan until brown bits formed, stirring with a small silicone spatula every now and then. Once the butter has been browned, take it off the heat because the butter will continue browning due to residue heat. I have burnt butter before, it's sad. Let the brown butter cool so your eggs don't cook.

2. Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda onto a paper plate.
Sifted the flour mixture with a flour sifter. Can just put them all in a bowl and whisk the flour mixture together.

3. Pour the butter into your stand mixer's work bowl. Add the sugars and beat with the paddle attachment on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Whisked the butter and sugars together for two minutes. 

4. Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk together the whole egg, egg yolk, milk and vanilla extract.
I didn't mix the wet ingredients together separately.

5. Slow the mixer to "stir" and slowly work the egg mixture into the butter and sugar. Mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds
I just added them all at once in the mixing bowl.

6. Using the paper plate as a slide, gradually integrate the dry ingredients, stopping a couple of times to scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula
Gradually went from whisk use to spatula use to incorporate the wet and dry ingredients 

7. Once the flour is worked in, drop the speed to "stir" and add the chocolate chips.
Used spatula to add in the chocolate chunks/chips.

8. Chill the dough for 1 hour.
I placed some plastic wrap over the cookie dough(so the wrap was in contact with dough). This helps the cookie dough from drying out. You can also form the cookie dough into blocks then wrap it in plastic wrap. I just put the cookie dough in a plastic container and placed plastic wrap with contact on top.

9. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F and place the racks in the top third and bottom third of the oven.
I used bottom rack only as I only did one batch of cookies at a time.

10. Scoop the dough into 1 1/2-ounce portions onto parchment paper-line half sheet pans, 6 cookies per sheet.
I made 1 oz or 28 gram balls of dough. Used parchment paper on my AirBake baking sheet. I could fit 8 cookies per sheet. Two rows of three and a row of two in the middle. 

11. Bake two sheets at a time for 15 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through.
I rotated the baking sheet every five to seven minutes, depending on when I remembered. Probably could get away with every seven minutes. Alton Brown mentions this is for if your oven has hot and cold spots and to prevent uneven browning.

12. Remove from the oven, slide the parchment with the cookies onto a cooling rack, and wait at least 5 minutes before devouring.
Used a rubber cooking spatula to transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Waiting sucked, but so worth it!


Nutritional Information: (Based on 36 cookies, I wasn't sure how many cookies I really made. I just roughly estimated it. Better to overestimate than to underestimate)
36 servings. Serving size is 1 cookie.
Calories: 146 • Fat: 8 g • Protein: 2 g • Carb: 18 g • Fiber: 1 g • Sugar: 19 g • Sodium: 3 mg

~ Meli♡

Comments