Introduction - Chocolate Chip Walnut Blondies

Hi!

I just woke up an hour or so ago from sleeping during the day. I might've baked all night and goofed off in the morning. There goes my sleeping schedule, wait what sleep schedule? I mean, my old high school is just wrapping up and my sister still attends there. So I just wanted her to give a little something to her friends or teachers, plus the usual suspects(our favorite teachers.)


Oh yeah, I'm Meli. I have wanted to start a personal blog for as long as I could remember. However, in my previous attempts, I didn't feel like I had anything worth mentioning. Now, that I have completed my first year at college and experienced home away from home, I feel like I can do this. Why not? (By the way, I'm the best at procrastinating. But then again, what college student isn't?)


I am a sleeping student by day and a baker by night. Kidding... Kind of. Since it's summer, I have a nonexistent wacky sleeping schedule. I've been sleeping until noon and staying up until early dawn. Maybe that's why this post is all over the place. In the hours that I am awake, I have been using them to watch anime, spend time with my dogs and family, & play League of Legends. I love my dogs, even if they make a mess whenever no one is watching them.


I decided to experiment in the kitchen with salted butter. (My family decided to buy salted butter from Costco. It's been sitting in the fridge for awhile.) I looked high and low for different recipes that used salted butter as I primarily use unsalted butter in baking. I modified a recipe off of Simply Recipes - Blondies. The recipe didn't specify on what kind of butter to use and it was a simple recipe that I could change according to what I like. I have listed the recipe with my modifications below.



Chocolate Chip Walnut Blondies with browned salted butter


Makes about 9 blondies.

 Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted 1/2 cup of melted, browned salted butter
  • 1 cup of tightly packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 cup of all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup of butterscotch chips 1/3 chocolate chips & walnuts


Steps
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter and flour an 8X8 pan. Whisk together the melted butter and sugar in a bowl.
  2. Add the egg and vanilla extract and whisk.
  3. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, mix it all together. Add the butterscotch chips or other mix-ins.
  4. Pour into the pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. Cut into squares and serve.
I decided to randomly brown the butter since I had to melt it anyways. (Ironically, as I was writing that sentence, I accidentally melted butter in the microwave that I meant to soften. Whoops.) I went with a mix of chocolate chips and walnuts because that is what I had in my kitchen. Um, I might've added more than the recipe called for. But, did any extra chocolate chips or walnuts ever kill anyone? Don't answer that. 

As I was mixing the wet and dry ingredients, my dog, Moki, randomly came up to me and just sat down. Cutie. Though, it's probably because I kept her up. Sorry!



I gave them to my past teachers, old classmates, and family. Everyone loved them. Even me! Aha my mom always joke how I never eat what I cook. :) I really like this recipe as it is very versatile. In addition, this would be a good treat for a get together or something.

If you have any questions, concerns, or anything on your mind, just comment below. :3 I will be sure to reply as soon as time permits.

Comments